2012-09-14 / In the News

Coach resigns from Red Storm girls’ basketball post

By Michael Kelley
Staff Writer


Tom Maines, who recently resigned as head coach of the Scarborough High School girls’ basketball team, instructs his team during a Jan. 16 game against Deering High School. (Michael Kelley photo) Tom Maines, who recently resigned as head coach of the Scarborough High School girls’ basketball team, instructs his team during a Jan. 16 game against Deering High School. (Michael Kelley photo) It was one and done for Scarborough girls’ basketball coach Tom Maines.

Citing familiy reasons, Maines, a longtime boys’ basketball coach in the state, resigned this week from his position leading the Red Storm girls basketball program.

Maines was hired in October 2011 to replace Jim Seavey as the girls’ coach.

It was the first time Maines had coached high school girls and the first time he had coached high school basketball since he left as head coach of the Madison High School boys’ basketball program in 2004.

Over the course of his 30- plus years of coaching, his basketball teams won more than 300 games, including three consecutive state titles with Morse High School 1987 to 1989. But, as he told the Leader this spring, winning is not the most important part.

“Winning and losing to me has always been secondary to the relationships you develop with the players,” he said earlier this year, after being named a Coach of the Year by the Maine Association of Basketball Coaches.

Maines leaves after a successful year at the helm guiding the Scarborough girls’ basketball team to 19-2 record. It was an 11-win improvement over the 2010-2011 season. The only losses on the season came to McAuley High School on Jan. 20 and Feb. 25, when Scarborough lost 61-43 in the Western Class A championship.

"Coach Maines did a wonderful job with our student athletes," said Scarborough Athletic Director Mike LeGage. "As his record shows he elevated the quality of our program. We wish him the very best in all his future plans."

Attempts to reach Maines for comment were unsuccessful.

The decision to leave comes a little more than six months after Maines told the Leader he intended to come back for another season as coach of the girls’ program and not apply for the boys’ basketball position that was vacant at the time.

That position has since been filled by Tony DiBiase, a longtime baseball, basketball and football coach in Portland and South Portland.

“I would not do that to the girls. It is not fair. It is not ethical,” Maines said at the time. “I plan on coming back next season to coach the girls. That is my desire.”

Want to comment on this story? Login to our website at www.leader.mainelymediallc.com and let us know your thoughts.

Return to top